Monday, December 09, 2013

King fish & Aussie Salmons from Manly

I recently planned several early morning sessions with a fishing buddy I met in Balmoral. We are trying to catch some kinggies off the rocks. So for me it's wake up time at around 3.30am and head down to one of the wharfs in Mosman. 4 am ish, yakkas are getting caught on prawn or minced beef. I use either a hand line or a pen fishing rod.


Usually 4 yakkas are enough for me as I have to leave the spot at 7am to go back home and get ready for work. My mate stays till 10.

5am we're in North, South Curl Curl or Manly.

Yakkas on a float and bottom rig and there we go.

After few weeks we were getting donuts or the usual bream and trevally, but finally last week, an hour after I left, my mate caught a 1.10m @9.4kg King fish, when I caught a small Aussie Salmon before leaving.



He was definitely happy of his catch :-D

It was caught on a squid strip, was whole but a small fish ate the head before...

Here is his setup:
8000 shimano baitrunner oc reel
10-15kg 12ft timber wolf rod
30lb braid 
50lb leader
7/0 double snell rig

It took 10 mins of good fight.

Here's my salmon:

Went back today, caught another Sambo, lost another one on a 2nd line (double hook up) due to a bad knot on the snap :-( and a flathead who tried to swallow a yellowtail on a bottom rig.


My setup is:
Alvey 13ft 650 GTS rod
Alvey 650 A1 rod
15 lb main mono
30 lb fluoro leade
Size 6/0 suicide hook

11ft Saratoga Mawler rod
Shimano Aerlex 8000 XSA
10lb braid
30lb fluoro leader
Same hook

No comments:

Post a Comment